ON UNESCO CHAIR IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES AND LAW
AT THE NATIONAL CENTER OF LEGAL INFORMATION
OF THE REPUBLIC OF BELARUS*
September 9, 2003
UNESCO CHAIR IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES AND LAW (further – the UNESCO Chair) is created and operates within the framework of:
the UNESCO Constitution;
UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme adopted at the 26th session of the General Conference in 1991;
Agreement between the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus (the NCLI) signed by Mr. K.Matsuura, the UNESCO Director-General, and Mr. Y.I.Kashinsky, the Director of the NCLI, on April 29, 2003 (the Agreement);
Regulations on the NCLI approved by the Edict of the President of the Republic of Belarus of October 30, 1998 No. 524 “On Measures to Improve the State System of Legal Information”
and other legislation of the Republic of Belarus in force.
UNESCO Chair is an integrated scientific, research and educational subdivision of the National Center of Legal Information of the Republic of Belarus (NCLI) and carries out its activity on a voluntary basis under the auspices of the UNESCO Secretariat and NCLI Scientific and Consultative Council (SCC).
UNESCO Chair is located in the NCLI and has inter-disciplinary character covering the spheres of interaction of information technologies and law including Internet technologies, legal informatization, information law, improvement of state system of legal information, etc.
The main goal of UNESCO Chair’s creation and activity is to ensure an integrated system of research, training and learning, providing information and documentation in the sphere of information law and legal information technologies (legal informatization) and also assisting to cooperation among the NCLI’s specialists and highly qualified internationally recognized scholars and teachers of other establishments from Belarus, Central and Eastern Europe.
The following are the long-term goals of the UNESCO Chair:
· Fulfillment of scientific and research programs in the sphere of information technologies and law, legal informatization and state system of legal information, and also applying the results of such researches at creating a single information legal space of the Republic of Belarus and its entrance to global information society;
· Establishment of educational programs and academic courses with the purpose to train qualified specialists in the sphere of information technologies and law for work in different institutions connected with usage of legal information and telecommunication technologies;
· Establishment of a special course program of raising the qualification for the teachers of legal informatics, legal informatization, information law and other spheres connected with legal information technologies and also of specialists in the given sphere of knowledge in the Republic of Belarus;
· Coordination of scientific and educational activity in the sphere of information technologies and law, legal informatization, information law, development and improvement of the state system of legal information in the Republic of Belarus;
· Establishment of a program of regional and international cooperation of universities, institutes and other organizations for the purposes to develop teaching as well as scientific researches in the sphere of law and legal information technologies.
The following are the permanent goals of the UNESCO Chair:
· Analysis of national, foreign and international legislation in force and practice of its application and also analysis of researches in the sphere of law and legal information technologies held before with the further usage of their results at elaboration of courses and programs mentioned in article 5, at preparation of scientific conclusions on certain questions, promoting the application of the most effective models of legal regulation at creating a single information legal space of the Republic of Belarus including the analysis of problems and preparation of proposals on improving the legislation of the Republic of Belarus directed to creation of a single information space and information legal space in the state and development and improvement of a state system of legal information;
· Organization and methodological provision of a study process and holding researches in the sphere of law and information technologies and also information technologies in the sphere of law by forming the staff of permanent and voluntary teachers, specialists and researches, aspirants and students and holding educational, methodological and scientific seminars, conferences and meetings on problems of information technologies and law;
· Establishment of contacts with other national, foreign and international establishments of higher education, academic structures and other organizations engaged in training and scientific researches in the sphere of law and information technologies and also such forms of cooperation as exchange of students, aspirants and teachers, organization of joint study, research, publishing and other programs;
· Participation in drafting of laws, conventions and international treaties in the sphere of law and legal information technologies;
· Assistance to fulfillment and active dissemination of the UN and UNESCO decisions and recommendations in the sphere of realization of the right to information on activity of state bodies, e-government, development of information technologies and ensuring legal basis for informatization and legal informatization processes and development of intellectual property law and information law;
· Elaboration of study and methodical materials in the sphere of law and information technologies and also their publication;
· Participation in projecting, maintenance of functioning and development of the National Legal Internet Portal of the Republic of Belarus.
UNESCO Chair consists of a Chairholder, Co-chairholder (if the decision on his appointment is taken), deputy(ies) of the Chairholder, heads of the Chair departments (affiliations), teaching staff, researches and students, all united by study and research programs.
A candidate for the Chairholder office is agreed with the UNESCO in accordance with the bilateral procedure.
Co-chairholder is appointed by the NCLI out of the number of outstanding internationally recognized scholars of a foreign state in the sphere of information technologies and law at his/her consent and at agreement with the UNESCO. Co-chairholder carries out representative and other functions on a voluntary basis.
UNESCO Chair creates departments (affiliations) in establishments of higher education, scientific and other establishments of the Republic of Belarus and also in other countries of Central and Eastern Europe that cooperate with each other on the network principle in accordance with the purposes of the UNESCO Chair in Information Technologies and Law. The UNESCO Chair may determine one or several basic departments (affiliations), at cooperation with which the main projects of the Chair are fulfilled.
The supervision of the UNESCO Chair departments (affiliations) is carried out by the heads of the UNESCO Chair departments (affiliations) within their powers in accordance with the goals of UNESO Chair activities.
Heads of the UNESCO Chair departments (affiliations) are appointed by the UNESCO Chairholder at the agreement with NCLI SCC out of the candidates suggested by the establishment, where the UNESCO Chair department (affiliation) is being created and are included into the UNESCO Chair.
The UNESCO Chair departments (affiliations) are guided in their activity by the abovementioned Agreement, by the present Regulations, Regulations on UNESCO Chair department (affiliation) agreed with the Chairholder and by legislation of the Republic of Belarus in force or by legislation of the countries, on the territory of which the departments (affiliations) operate.
The UNESCO Chair is run by the Chairholder.
The powers of the Chairholder are the following:
· General planning and supervision of the UNESCO Chair activity including determining and general supervision of the national and international projects fulfilled within the framework of the Chair’s goals;
· Organization of scientific and research work, and also of study process at the Chair and supervision of the study process;
· Approval of the list of staff members of the UNESCO Chair and also approval of employees’ candidacies of the UNESCO Chair;
· Determining and engaging financial sources for providing the functioning of the UNESCO Chair in accordance with legislation of the Republic of Belarus in force;
· Ensuring the submission of annual current report on UNESCO Chair’s activities to the UNESCO Secretariat.
Deputy(ies) of the UNESCO Chair and also other employees of the Chair are appointed by the Order of the UNESCO Chairholder.
UNESCO employees, employees of the NCLI and employees of educational, scientific and research and other establishments may take part in the activity of the Chair on voluntary basis within the framework of the Chair’s goals.
In order to carry out its activity the UNESCO Chair is given isolated premises in the NCLI and also all necessary basic material and technical equipment and maintenance is given for organization of the Chair’s work.
In accordance with the general principles of UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme the financial activity of the UNESCO Chair is carried out at the expense of NCLI’s own resources including the works done in accordance with contracts and agreements and participation in regional and international programs and projects, and also at the expense of attracted assets of other national and international organization and establishments and voluntary donations, reception of which does not contradict the legislation of the Republic of Belarus, within the framework of realization of the Chair’s projects in accordance with the purposes of its activity.
UNESCO Chair cooperates with UNESCO and other organizations in particular with those being in the UN system, the activity of which complies with the sphere of interests of the UNESCO Chair in accordance with the purposes of the Chair’s activity.
The UNESCO Secretariat carries out theoretical leadership and gives technical assistance for the planned training and research activity of the Chair’s projects.
UNESCO Chair quarterly informs NCLI SCC about its activity and submits to UNESCO an annual report reflecting all activities of the Chair carried out during the period determined by the UNESCO Secretariat and in accordance with the special form.
Current contacts and coordination of the activity between the UNESCO Chair and UNESCO Secretariat are carried out by exchange of electronic messages.
A program of activity and development of the UNESCO Chair is subject to annual review by the UNESCO Chairholder, and as the result of such a review a Plan for every academic year is approved. UNESCO is informed about the results of the review in annual current report on UNESCO Chair’s activities.
*The Regulations is agreed with S.F.Sokol, Rector of the Belarusian Institute of Jurisprudence; A.N.Kurbatsky, Pro-rector of the Belarusian State University; N.V. Storoszhev, Director of the Institute of State and Law of the National Academy of Science of Belarus; V.K. Matyushevskaya, Pro-rector on Studies of the Academy of Management at the President of the Republic of Belarus.